Thursday, June 23, 2011

Don't say anything at all

Being around Kelly, after the death of her girls I have realized that in awkward situations people just don't know what to say...therefore they should say nothing at all. I have dealt with this a lot with what we are going through. This post might be a little touchy, just for the fact that some of the things I am going to write that have upset me or are upsetting me have been said by some people who are going to read this. I am the type that does not hold my tongue well, so when people "give" advice or try to encourage me, but their "advice" is actually the complete opposite of encouraging; it takes a lot for me to keep quite and to smile. So now I am going to list off some of the top "worst advice" tips we have been given. Even though some of them are true, and I believe them also I just DO NOT need to hear it another time. From ANYBODY. I will write the "advice" part first and then in italics I will write my thoughts and what I wish I could tell people. Instead I usually just smile and say thank you or say nothing at all. I hope that whoever reads this understands that sometimes your words of "encouragement" do more damage than uplifting and to start thinking before you speak. And honestly if you have never been in the situation someone is in, I would encourage you to simple say "I am sorry and I will be praying for you". End of story! And if you have been or are going through the same situation as someone then you will never have a comment like any of the below.

  • You are still young (oh really? Well thanks for telling me my age. I didn't realize it, and do you realize it takes TWO to have a baby and my husband is not my age!)
  • You just need to stop thinking about it (SAY WHAT? You are telling me to stop thinking about something that is built into me as a Christian woman. A natural want in life? JUST STOP THINKING ABOUT IT? Ok, Ill get right on that when you stop thinking period!)
  • You might be 30 and still trying to have your first child (Are you CRAZY!? We have plenty more options and there is no way on God's green earth that we are going 7 more years with out a child!!!!!)
  • You just need to adopt a child. I hear once you adopt you will become pregnant, but don't get a baby because then you would have two the same age. (Ok seriously! You are off your freaking rocker. There is no way we are going to spend 10 to 12 grand to adopt someone who is not an infant and we sure aren't going to adopt "just because we will then become pregnant")
  • You are too tense, you need to start drinking (Never drank in my life before, not gonna start now. Its a moral thing. NOT GONNA DO IT!)
  • Well you haven't been trying that long (Well actually to us this is very long, and to each there own. Some people can try 5-10 years "on their own" won't be us. As I mentioned above, there are plenty of other options and we will not go 5-10 more years without a child)
  • Just enjoy your time together without kids bothering you (Ok, so this is one of the ones that I ALREADY know and I don't need people telling me this when they find out we can't have children)
  • If you can't get pregnant, then it is God telling you you shouldn't parents ($%@# you!)
  • You need to stop trying, then it will happen (seriously?)
  • It's just not the right time. (Another one I KNOW, just don't need other people telling us over and over)
  • You may never have your own children ( Why thank you friend for the encouragement. Remind me to come to you next time I am down and need some uplifting!)
Lately I have cried a lot, but today was an angry day and I wanted to get it out. I still love each and every one of you. I just also want you to be aware of how it feels to be told these things.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I sort of agree with the one about enjoy your time together, but not in a way that's like "without kids bothering you". Just, keep trying for a baby (of course!), but don't let it stress you out so much that you put stress on the love and relationship that you already have. you guys are an awesome couple, and will be amazing parents, I know! It WILL happen one day (hopefully very SOON). I know how you feel about people giving advice when you don't ask for it, or giving outright rude comments that isn't any of their business in the first place. and OMG, drinking??!! What?! That will just hurt your chances of getting pregnant!! That's just dumb. And you not conceiving yet is NOT a sign that God doesn't want you to be parents!! He has a plan for you like he does for all of us, and I sincerely feel that parenthood is going to be a big part of it. I pray for you guys every time I think about you, and will continue to do so! I know you have had a really hard time with this, but you are being so strong! Don't let others get you down :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have put both feet in my mouth more than once when I was trying to be encouraging. It is one of those mixed up things of wanting to help and then saying something totally painful (if truth be told I think I'm guilty of several of the above as well:( so thank you for the reminder that if I don't know what to say, I just need to let you know I love you and I'm praying for you! and hopefully others will take your advise as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of those comments were supposed to be encouraging? Wow. We'll keep praying for you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I hate that I wrote out exactly what I wanted to say and my computer froze :(

    Anyways... I agree with your momma. I've been guilty of the above more times than I'd like to admit. I think it's easy to focus on how WE feel when truly this is about how YOU feel. "Quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger" (James 1:19). Too many times are we quick to speak. I know for me I feel as though I’m helping by giving advice but if I was truly listening more times than not I’m not being asked for any. It’s my own selfish desire to work through the issues of others quickly. It comes from a good place because I don’t want to see anyone in pain but no one answer is going to solve anything. For you this is a long time battle and sadly nothing we can say is going to make it all better. We aren’t dealing with this. You are dealing with it and the best we can do is listen lovingly to what is going on. If you ask for advice we can try to give it but the best we can do for each other is love, care and be there.

    I’m glad you’re writing and you have a place to let out your frustration and joys!!! Your experiences make an impact on others. I know it has helped with a few of my own issues. We’re all praying for you and Bronson. Boy, will it be a day to celebrate when God answers your prayer!!!
    -Shaina

    ReplyDelete